Friday, October 31, 2008

Holidays + Work + Tevy = The Wrong Perspective

It's been a full week since the holidays finished (with the exception of Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan- the beginning of the month of Cheshvan from Tuesday night to Thursday afternoon) and things seem to be back to normal, whatever normal may be. Whether its school, work or whatever one spends their time usually doing, the routine is back in full swing.

From my perspective, I've finally caught up from missing 7 days of holidays over the past month. During that span of time I've had to make up 3 big assignments, cram for a test, and deal with the craziness of that Canadian election. I'll admit it's been tough trying to manage my time accordingly and give proper focus to the work amidst the holiday rush but I try my best not to complain. I shouldn't have to make excuses (or even call the holidays as excuses) for getting my work done efficiently and submitted on time.

But something occurred to me as the final holiday, Simchat Torah, was coming to an end. It was a realization that the holidays were finally over. Even though I had a mountain of work to do once I got home, I took some time to reflect over this year's holiday experience. Of course it was meaningful and full of joy, but I felt like I could've done more.
More as in:
- time spent preparing for the holidays, such as learning customs and helping out the family
- time spent getting work out of the way so it wouldn't impede on properly preparing and observing the holidays.

I could say more, but I think you get the picture. As much as I didn't want it to be this way, I couldn't help but have the idea that it was the holidays getting in the way of work and everything else I needed to take care of. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE OPPOSITE!

My work got in the way of the holidays -that's the right perspective to have. Though I know he takes care of me, I should have amped up my trust in G-d, especially during these times. And he did take care of me. More than I than I know it and more than I expected (though I shouldn't expect it).

I think everyone can learn from this concept regardless of the situation. We need to get our priorities straight when rationalizing our time and resources, and by doing so, we can get more done and appreciate more of what's around us.

In the meantime, stay tuned for some of things that I actually had to deal with during that span of time, such as my interview and experience with recently elected Member of Parliament for Thornhill, Peter Kent - who as yesterday was also named Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Cabinet as Minister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas). Let's hop he can still keep to his commitments in Thornhill in addition to his new responsibilities in Thornhill.

(and of course whatever is going on now)

No comments: